To create a new assignment, click on the 'Create New' button in the top right of the Organize tab. Select 'Assignment' from the list.
Next, give the assignment a name. Dog Walker, Project Lead, and Social Media Team are all examples of assignments.
When you're ready, you can create the assignment and jump right to designing the application. Or, you can start adding people to the assignment.
Designing the Application
If you click 'Design Application', you'll be directed to a visual editor for the assignment application. What you see on the screen is roughly what the published application will look like, including the sidebar and 'Apply' buttons.
Follow these steps for a great application:
- Add an image. Images at least 1400px wide work best. Avoid images with text, or images that are very busy. The focus of the image should be in the top right, so the title of your assignment doesn't compete with the image. If you choose not to upload an image, Timecounts will fill the space with a coloured pattern to match your Community Hub colours.
- Select the Commitment Level and Details. How much time is required of your volunteers? You can choose from short term, long term, or flexible. Add timeframe details in the next text box, to give your volunteers an idea of how much of a commitment is required.
- Add a location. Let your volunteers know where they're expected to perform their volunteer tasks. You can choose Global, Online, or No Location if needed. But if the location will vary, we suggest at least entering the city or region in which the volunteer can expect to work.
- Add an overview about the assignment. Why should volunteers apply? What impact will volunteers have? What tasks will they be performing?
- Add more content blocks. Click on the 'Add New Content Block' dropdown to choose a section to add to your application, or add a new custom section. Options include 'Requirements', 'Qualifications', 'What to Expect', and more. There's no need to add any or all of these sections, but we hope they'll act as guides to help prompt the creation of a stellar, informative application.
- Save and view. Save your changes, and view the application to see the finished result!
- Check your application settings in the Details tab.
- Select or create a new signup form.
- Open Applications and share! Go to the Overview tab of your assignment then click 'Applications Closed' in the top corner of the assignment, which will open a dropdown. Select 'Open Applications'. You'll be asked if you'd like to open applications now, or set a date and time to automatically open applications in the future.
If you set your assignment to be Public, the application will now be viewable in your Community Hub. Share the URL with your wider community!
Adding people to an assignment
If you click 'Add People to Assignment' when creating your assignment (or would like to do this now that you've published the application) you'll go to the 'Pipeline' tab of your assignment.
Click the Pending Applications dropdown to go to the Qualified section.
Click the 'Add' button in the toolbar to manually add and qualify people for this assignment who are already in your community database.
Once qualified, volunteers will need to create a Timecounts account in order to login, go to the 'My Activities' tab in your hub, and signup for assignment shifts.
But don't worry, Timecounts will prompt your assignment volunteers to create accounts. When you publish an assignment schedule, you'll be asked if you want to notify all volunteers who are qualified for the assignments in the schedule. The notification email lets your volunteers know that there are shifts available for signup, and includes a button to login or create an account.